Strategic Portfolio ManagementWatch DemoDrive strategy enterprise wide. See how.
Drive strategy enterprise-wide
Strategic Portfolio Management
Drive strategy enterprise-wide
Planview’s strategic portfolio management software enables executives, finance, and EPMOs to work together and bring strategy to life. Create dynamic plans to achieve objectives: shift portfolio funding and priorities, promote outcomes, communicate roadmaps.
Searching for the best Strategic Portfolio Management solution software?
The Planview solution for strategic portfolio management empowers leaders to translate strategy into outcomes that drive business value: Prioritize and fund what matters most, compare scenarios that balance different outcomes, build a roadmap to guide investments, communicate plans, and reveal dependencies, and gain line of sight into strategic progress across the organization.
With the Planview platform, executives can lead their organization to adapt with change, navigate the transformation journey, and accelerate on-strategy delivery.
Planview works with customers every day to drive on-strategy delivery at speed. Learn why over 4000 customers and 1 million users worldwide choose Planview.
- Translate strategy into delivery on a cross-functional, enterprise-wide scale using strategy mapping and visualization. View • a larger version of the imageStrategy Mapping and Visualization
Orchestrate the strategic portfolio from strategy to delivery
Break down strategy to identify and fund specific goals and objectives. Planview’s strategic portfolio management allows users to connect their vision to progressively more specific goals and objectives. Progress can be tracked at any level of this breakdown, from top level vision and mission through objective, strategy, and goal.
Strategy mapping and visualization offers a combination of predefined financial (capital, expense, revenue, burn rate) and schedule metrics (planned/target, forecast, and actual dates), or users can configure their own.
- Summarize performance data from the underlying investments across multiple dimensions, both up the strategic breakdown and along dimensions including business capabilities, applications, products, services, and organizations, providing both business and technology perspectives
- Support business plans at different levels – strategy, objectives, initiatives – each having their own financial plans (or budgets), desired results, owners, and other key information to outline the plan
- Make planning continuous with real-time monitoring to help you decide when to shift and reallocate based on performance, market conditions, key results, and other factors
- Drive the business planning process with workflows, dashboards, Kanban visualization, and collaboration
- Strategic roadmapping with enterprise roadmaps connect strategy with investments, products, and applications. View • a larger version of the imageStrategic Roadmapping
Translate your strategic plan into actionable roadmaps
Build roadmaps that connect strategy to the investments and outcomes that drive transformation, innovation, and customer experiences. With an enterprise roadmap, lead transformational change, measure progress, understand impacts from decisions and adjust dynamically.
- Visualize dependencies, mitigate risks, set clear vision, and confirm priorities to successfully deliver products and services
- Identify and address impacts on existing business capabilities, applications, products, and services
Support the Project to Product Shift
Shift your organization to focus on products, customer experiences, and value streams. Set and communicate direction with roadmaps that combine programs with outcomes, products, projects, epics, applications, technologies, and key business events.
- Use investment and scenario planning to model above- and below-the-line decisions against constraints and targets. View • a larger version of the imageInvestment and Scenario Planning
Model trade-offs in constantly changing environments
In the face of constant change, enable your organization to fund incrementally. Analyze current investments versus new demands in the context of the whole portfolio to determine the best combination of investments that will deliver strategic objectives given financial, resource, and risk constraints.
Strategic Portfolio Analysis
- Set funding guardrails across different strategic portfolios
- Establish desired outcomes and ROI targets
- Rank investments based on priorities and drivers
- Analyze against finance and resource capacity time-phased funding levels
- Evaluate and adjust funding model based on strategic objectives against resource and risk constraints
- Create scenarios to model the impact of potential changes, balance trade-offs, and visualize the impacts of changing investment priorities
- Model different approval and funding decisions; save for comparison and review
- Build multiple scenarios for achieving objectives and model different approval and funding decisions; by cost, risk, resources, business capability impact, and benefits modeling different decisions for comparison and selection
- Understand the impact of trade-off decisions on your ability to drive outcomes while considering constrained resources
- Fund portfolios incrementally based on timeframe or stage-gate to evaluate investment progress and make course corrections easier
- Deliver the programs that drive innovation and transformational change with strategic program management software. View • a larger version of the imageLearn more • Strategic Program ManagementStrategic Program Management
Execute strategic initiatives successfully
Plan and manage programs that span departments to support strategic outcomes. Understand relationships, visualize constraints, and mitigate risk to ensure successful program delivery and value creation. Drive performance measurement from individual initiatives to the overall strategic plan.
Plan Program-Defined Timeframes
Program managers can create plans that define delivery timeframes, set key milestones, and establish releases dates. Develop realistic plans based on the financial and resource constraints of the organization.
Top-Down, Integrated Financial Planning
Define expected costs and benefits for strategies, programs, and projects. Remedy variances with the plan as actual costs and forecasts change.
Develop and Share Roadmaps
Synchronize and communicate schedule, milestones, releases and financials of each application, capability, and product with key information about the associated programs, projects, and technology.
Visualize and Manage Dependencies
Proactively manage dependencies by capturing and visualizing the relationships across programs and technology so you can mitigate risk, resolve issues, and optimize delivery.
- Manage strategic funding and performance to maximize ROI from plans and initiatives View • a larger version of the imageBusiness Planning and Financial Management
Manage strategic funding and performance to maximize ROI from plans and initiatives
Robust, flexible financials in Planview’s strategic portfolio management software enable stakeholders to build a business case with capital and operating expense plans to achieve objectives, understand how funding is being spent, and reallocate as needed throughout the fiscal period.
Create business cases to capture desired outcomes, the problem or opportunity being addressed, and financial plan to support the investment being requested. Plan out the investment, projected revenues or savings, effort, capital, and other costs to automatically calculate financial metrics such as ROI, NPV, IRR, and payback period.
- Track actuals and manage forecasts against baseline performance so that you can view variances between the original business case and current progress
- Control spend and maximize returns for individual business plans and across the portfolio
- Capture changes over time to assess and manage funding changes at both the investment and portfolio level
Strategic portfolio management supports easy data management with import/export from Microsoft Excel. Connectivity with other financial systems support an integrated financial process.
- Measure performance and share progress with high-impact visualizations provided in strategic portfolio analytics and dashboards. View • a larger version of the imageStrategic Portfolio Analytics and Dashboards
Gain single line of sight visibility into strategic initiatives
With a single source for strategy execution, focus on analyzing progress and identifying trends to accelerate on-strategy delivery.
Effective decision-making and timely course corrections require access to status, spend, interdependencies, KPIs, and other leading business performance indicators.
Leverage powerful Planview’s strategic portfolio analytics and reporting solution to enable:
- Executive dashboards and data visualizations
- Standard reports for KPIs and performance management
- Real-time ad-hoc analysis through rich, graphical views
Gain insights to better track and balance financials, remove obstacles, drive business alignment, as well as plan and execute on the most important initiatives across growth and innovation, cost optimization, regulatory requirements, and run-the-business programs.
Using information drawn from across the organization, you can measure performance against your strategic initiatives, communicate progress to stakeholders, and adjust as needed.
- Fund across different types of portfolios and align to strategic initiatives by analyzing tradeoffs and comparing scenarios. View • a larger version of the imagePortfolio Funding
Embrace an adaptive approach to portfolio funding
Fund what matters most. Prioritize investments within initiatives that will best deliver strategic objectives, while understanding the impact of trade-offs and decisions.
- Allocate funds and budgets to achieve objectives
- Reprioritize regularly, reallocate funding, and analyze trade-offs with continuous planning
- Adjust funding across portfolios to reflect changes in priorities and desired outcomes
Adapt how you fund major investments with strategic portfolio management, making the move from approving specific projects to broader programs and products that drive measurable business outcomes.
Enterprise-Wide Funding of Strategic Programs
Prioritize and fund program investments based on quantifiable business benefits – ROI, NPV, customer retention metrics, etc.
Product-Based Funding of Epics
Accelerate digital transformation by funding roadmaps for internal products, such as a platform, application, or set of business capabilities.
Value Stream Funding Based on OKRs
Drive a culture focused on outcomes by funding value streams and the desired outcomes, rather than specific investments.
- Streamline workflow and gated processes with enhanced oversight of strategic portfolios, programs, products, and products. View • a larger version of the imageGovernance and Visibility
Increase speed with streamlined governance and enhanced visibility
Enable effective governance with “just enough” oversight of strategic portfolios, programs, products, and products with Planview strategic portfolio management technology.
- Establish process consistency and ownership of deliverables
- Set guardrails that indicate what and when to escalate
- Gain efficiency with faster approvals via automated notifications
- Drive quicker, informed decisions with insights, real-time reports, and interactive dashboards
Enable Compliance With a Focus on Outcomes, Not Activities
- Ensure corporate resources are well spent by measuring outcomes, not controlling specific execution approaches
- Outline goals and measure progress with OKRs
Automate Phased- and Stage-Gated Processes
Fail fast, deliver faster with improved efficiency and consistent, informed go/no-go decisions.
- Gain visibility into gate deliverables and status
- Visualize trends with configurable gate status fields and dashboards
Provide “Just Enough” Governance for Value-based Delivery
Lean governance offers flexibility for team autonomy, learning, and speed
- Introduce Lean guardrails as structure for budgetary governance, spending policies, and practices for values streams within a portfolio
- Support teams prioritizing work in relationship to desired strategic outcomes
- Link strategic initiatives to a future state business context using node visualizations that allow you to map across business capabilities and enterprise architecture models. View • a larger version of the imageLearn more • Business Capabilities and Enterprise ArchitectureBusiness Capabilities and Enterprise Architecture
Adapt business capabilities to deliver new strategies
Creating new digital products and services requires evolving business capabilities and investing in enabling technology. Additionally, as your organization shifts to a product-centric approach, business capabilities are often the basis for internal products.
Use Planview’s strategic portfolio management solution to assess impact of strategies on business capabilities and develop a roadmap to enhance or create capabilities that enable strategic outcomes.
- Visualize capability maps with associated technology, processes, suppliers, products, and services to identify gaps and required investments
- Ensure investment into technologies that will create or support the right business capabilities
- Assess impact of strategic portfolio investment decisions on capabilities
Optimize Your Application Portfolio Across New Investments and Existing Software
Consolidate the current application portfolio to reduce risks, technical debt, and costs in non-compliant, legacy, or redundant applications. Accelerate new applications and technology for digital transformation.
- Leverage capacity planning capabilities that allow you the flexibility to plan capacity based on types and variety of teams. View • a larger version of the imageCapacity Planning
Analyze capacity across portfolios
Planview’s strategic portfolio management software lets you perform investment and capacity planning in a dynamic, what-if environment without impacting execution.
Forecast Capacity Requirements
- Enter anticipated staffing required by role, team, skill, and/or location, to deliver the strategic roadmap
- Identify and address gaps by role, team, location, and other factors
- Adjust staffing levels and shift sequencing of programs and investments to balance against capacity
- Ensure dependencies are considered as part of prioritization of investments to avoid costly decisions
- Avoid redundant decisions across large portfolios prevent duplicate efforts
- Model reallocation of teams, groups, and associated funding across the portfolio to understand impacts to program timelines
- Capture dependencies between programs to understand how shifting people may impact more than just the specific investment
- Create and compare scenarios to evaluate alternative staffing and funding approaches for achieving portfolio objectives
- See impacts of moving resource pools on overall costs and ROI with automatic re-costing
- Capture work and manage its progress across the demand pipeline with strategic demand management capabilities. View • a larger version of the imageStrategic Demand Management
Advance new ideas to progress strategic initiatives and product delivery
Capture ideas for planned and new strategic initiatives – products, services, programs, projects – with associated information for evaluation. Assess proposals based on impact to business outcomes, the funding and capacity required, and risk involved. Prioritize and model trade-offs with Planview’s strategic portfolio management solution.
Automate demand workflow with gates to organize, evaluate, and define decision points. Make decisions based on value and fit to determine which ideas can be killed, put on hold, or advance for further consideration.
All Strategic Demand
Capture and manage ideas that tie to your strategy. Define processes for different types of demand, whether for planned initiatives, unplanned new ideas, or product innovation.
Rapidly reprioritize competing investments for achieving outcomes. Use objective, repeatable scoring criteria comprised of quantitative factors such as ROI, and qualitative factors such as strategic fit, impact, or risk.
What-if Scenario Planning
Shift priorities by evaluating multiple scenarios to ensure the best portfolio mix. Create and compare scenarios to evaluate the impact of new investments on in-flight programs and products. Assess trade-offs of accelerating, descoping, delaying, rejecting, or canceling each investment.
- Get visibility and insights into all work that ties to strategy. Capture the information needed to make critical decisions and keep the business focused on delivering strategic initiatives, at speed. View • a larger version of the imageLearn more • Connectivity for Visiblity and InsightsConnectivity for Visiblity and Insights
Bring cross-organizational focus to execute on strategy
Effective decision-making and timely course corrections require access to enterprise-wide status, spend, interdependencies, KPIs, and other leading business performance indicators.
The Planview’s strategic portfolio management solution offers connectivity to work management and enterprise applications to automate information flow for advanced reporting, analysis, and performance management.
Gain Insights Into Delivery No Matter How Your Teams Execute
The strategic portfolio management solution seamless connects with Planview’s work management solutions for top to bottom line of sight into progress, status and risk. Whether teams are delivering traditional projects, collaborative work, or leveraging lean-agile methods, you gain complete visibility.
Integration With Your Application Ecosystem
Automate information flow between strategic portfolios and any other application, be it cloud or on-premises, off-the-shelf, or homegrown. Planview’s proven integration approach speeds delivery, reduces costs, and de-risks implementation. Seamlessly integrate with apps your business relies on every day:
- Financial and enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems
- Reporting and data warehousing
- Agile development tools
- Spreadsheets and other office productivity tools
- IT service management (ITSM)
- Configuration management database tools (CMDB)
- Customer-developed tools via APIs
- Coordinate delivery and ensure benefits realization from products, services, and other outcomes that achieve strategic objectives. View • a larger version of the imageBenefits Realization
Drive change, increase benefits, and maximize ROI of the portfolio
Capture the benefits of strategic programs by how they add value and contribute to the strategic objectives of the organization. Create clear benefit realization plans that drive change and activities of the program to effectively maximize the ROI of your portfolio.
Track benefits over time and automatically calculate financial metrics such as IRR, NPV, ROI, and Payback Period. Dashboards offer visual performance measurement across the portfolio.
With strategic portfolio management software from Planview:
- Identify both financial and non-financial benefits to be achieved to create value
- Capture benefits over time at a portfolio level and/or rollup from strategic initiatives to objective to measure portfolio performance
- Define metrics (KPIs) to measure the benefits to ensure that the activities of the program will result in the change needed to realize desired benefits
- Monitor KPIs providing the foresight to make decisions and act judiciously
Benefit realization with an outcome-first approach to determine what actions and changes need to occur in the organization. Use benefits realization to elevate programs from an investment in change management to a means to achieve tangible value for the business.
The best Strategic Portfolio Management software for the world’s most innovative companies
- “We took 12 divisions with over 70 locations, each with their own processes and excel spreadsheets, and combined them into one capital portfolio in Planview Enterprise One. This now gives Corning visibility into the costs as well as the benefits…which projects are actively being worked on and how they are progressing in our capital stage gate process.”
- “Planview Enterprise One is helping us to have a more structured process for planning and investment in capacity management for decisions. Now, we have information that is visible and helps to have more certainty that the decisions made are the right decisions. It’s helping us to be more on the right side of the decision or have more confidence in the decision that is made.”
- “Planview has helped connect funding and strategic outcomes with work execution. We started to have strategic planning inside going then down to the outcomes. Out of the outcomes, we will try to wait on the projects and other teams, then growing slowly to link it.”
- “A strategic roadmap gives you a shared perspective. It gives you a place to talk about the important strategic initiatives for the organization, and fuels passion and focus for the things that matter.”
- “In a short period of time, we have already increased our release velocity by 10 percent, delivering 60 features in only a quarter, and have measurable cost avoidance. We consider these huge wins that propel us forward as we have greater confidence in our capabilities.”
Featured Benchmark Report
The Forrester Wave™: Strategic Portfolio Management Tools, Q1 2022The 11 SPM Providers That Matter Most and How They Stack Up
Get the report : The Forrester Wave™: Strategic Portfolio Management Tools, Q1 2022
The State of Strategy Execution: Embracing Uncertainty to Adapt at Speed
Global Benchmark Study Shows How Leading Companies Accelerate On-Strategy DeliveryGet the report • The State of Strategy Execution: Embracing Uncertainty to Adapt at Speed
Deliver Digital Transformation At Speed
7 Key Elements to Rewire for the Digital EraGet the eBook • Deliver Digital Transformation At Speed
Strategic Portfolio Management use cases
With a clear plan in place, executives can lead transformational change, monitor performance, and measure progress to accelerate strategy delivery. See how organizations use strategic portfolio management across the business.
Capital planning is about investing today to be ready for tomorrow’s business environment. Without a way to prioritize capital investment requests and gain visibility to drive informed strategic decisions, organizations can miss opportunities, fall behind their competitors, or worse, become irrelevant in their market.
Planview’s strategic portfolio management solution helps leaders, Finance, and capital planning teams to make better decisions for future business needs. A single source of truth across all capital portfolios, programs, projects, resources, and financials empowers organizations to quickly shift priorities, re-allocate capital, and monitor performance.
- Real-time Visibility Into Capital Budgets and Investments: On-demand reporting with dashboards equip executives with the data they need
- Build Capital Plans That Maximize ROI: With investment and capacity planning, ensure capital is best allocated considering financial metrics such as NPV, IRR, and payback period
- Optimize the Capital Portfolio: Manage capital forecasts with actuals, model various prioritization scenarios, and depreciate capital into future periods, enabling trade-off decisions for reallocation of funds to drive outcomes
Strategic portfolio management from Planview helps capital planning teams make capital decisions faster, with more data and insights, to adapt plans, reallocate funding and resources faster, and quickly shift priorities to optimize costs and maximize outcomes.
Priorities can change overnight. Many companies already struggle with strategic planning, failing to translate strategic objectives into measurable goals, operational roadmaps, and coordinated delivery across the organization. When strategies change, it becomes even harder to reallocate funding, rapidly reprioritize, and realign teams.
Conventional strategic planning tools (usually spreadsheets) provide executives and managers with limited visibility into understanding how plans are progressing. When disruption strikes, lack of actionable information can hinder effective decision-making.
Planview’s dynamic planning offering enables executives, finance, and EPMOs to work together to quickly shift strategies, priorities, funding, and resources.
Deliver on-strategy, at speed:
- Revisit Strategic Direction: Reassess strategic initiatives and their relative levels of priority and associated funding – Rapidly model the impact of changes and balance tradeoffs.
- Reallocate Funding: Visualize the reallocation of resources and funding over different timeline – Leverage flexible funding approaches to easily reallocate as circumstances change
- Reprioritize Investments: Set new portfolio priorities – Balance work that needs to be done immediately, and over the next month, quarter, and year
- Realign Teams and Work: Quickly redeploy resources -Maintain alignment with strategic goals, financial constraints, and resource capacity
- Review Performance: Engage stakeholders – Measure results and adapt dynamically as required
Create Business Agility With Dynamic Planning and Strategic Portfolio Management
Enterprise Program and Portfolio Management
Enterprise portfolio management offices focus primarily on ensuring strategy execution alignment, portfolio governance, change management, and visibility for strategic decision-making. Strategic portfolio management technology lets you plan and manage cross-departmental programs and products essential to achieving strategic objectives.
With Planview strategic portfolio management solutions, you gain access to comprehensive portfolio analysis and reporting, dashboards, and ‘what-if’ scenario planning to ensure you both fund the best investments for delivering business outcomes and measure progress so you can adjust along the way. Take a continuous planning approach so you can reprioritize and realign resources when business priorities and strategies shift or change.
- Bring Strategic Programs to Life: Define top-down timeframes, financials, and roadmaps; adjust based on progress and forecasts
- Create Capacity for Innovation and Transformation: Balance capacity against demand; compare scenarios to evaluate alternative staffing and funding approaches for achieving outcomes, and effectively focus resources for on-strategy delivery
- Automate Phase-Gated Processes: Gain visibility into gate deliverables and status; visualize trends with configurable gate status fields and dashboards
- Mitigate Risk with Improved Visibility: Analyze impacts and manage dependencies while building technology plans and roadmaps to achieve strategic objectives
- Share Progress Through Executive Dashboards: Provide leaders clear visibility into strategic progress across the organization
IT Strategic Planning
For today’s digital business, technology investments underpin the company’s strategic objectives. The IT strategic plan must span current and future business objectives while remaining adaptable when priorities change.
Planview’s strategic portfolio management software offers CIOs, enterprise architects, portfolio managers, and Finance an integrated portfolio that connects strategy to delivery, enabling the organization to realize strategic objectives for growth, innovation, and operational efficiency.
- Accelerate Innovation and Transformation: Prioritize investments within initiatives that will best deliver strategic objectives, while understanding the impact of trade-offs and decisions
- Manage an Integrated IT Portfolio: Map outcomes to strategic objectives, spanning investment, project, program, product, service, application, and technology portfolios
- Mitigate Risk: Create multiple investment and change scenarios; compare impact to costs, capacity, interdependencies to identify the least disruptive options
- Visualize the Relationships Between Strategy, Technology, and Outcomes: Break down organizational silos with visibility, showing interdependencies among strategies, portfolios, and programs to drive strategic initiatives
- Build and Integrated Strategic Roadmap to Drive Transformation: Capture current state, identify future state, and build the roadmaps that will get you there
- Address Dependencies: Use visualizations to understand and explore the connections between strategies, objectives, business capabilities, products, applications, technology, and work. Understand how relationships can help or hinder progress so you can build the right plan for transformation.
- Modernize Your Application Portfolio: Reveal actions to reduce risk and technical debt by consolidating legacy software and infrastructure. Expedite deployment of new enabling technology for strategic outcomes.
- Connectivity to Your Ecosystem: Integrate to variety of affiliated data sources to bring information into a single system of record to visualize interrelationships and monitor performance. Sources include work management, agile development tools, CMDB, and financial systems.
Strategy Execution Management
An organization’s inability to bridge strategy execution gaps is the primary reason for the failure of new growth initiatives. Translating strategy to delivery is derailed by conflicting priorities, overloaded resources, and confusion about direction.
Planview strategic portfolio management offers a system where executives, strategists, EPMOs, and Finance can work together to achieve objectives by managing strategy execution and adapting for uncertainty.
- Gain Executive Line of Sight: Visibility milestones, financials, and KPIs of strategic programs
- Mitigate Delivery Risk: Manage performance with a KPI dashboard highlighting issues to address
- Map Strategy to Outcomes: Visualize dependencies between business capabilities, applications, products, services, and organizations connected to strategies, investments, and value metrics
- Define Desired Outcomes: Set objectives and the target results, focus portfolio funding decision to objectives and business value
- Collaborate on Portfolio Decisions: Engage leaders and stakeholders with workflows, dashboards, Kanban visualization
- Access Real-Time, Accurate Data: Roll-up progress status and financial data from teams throughout the organization
- Streamline Gated Processes: Fail fast, deliver faster with improved efficiency and consistent, informed go/no-go decisions
Close the gaps in your strategy execution process by replacing spreadsheets and static program tracking tools with a platform that connects strategy to delivery, whether for a specific line of business or across the enterprise.
Expand your strategic portfolio management knowledge
With whitepapers, webcasts, analyst reports, and more.